The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits
The course is designed as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry, but is also increasingly popular amongst people who want to study out of personal interest alone. If you have a serious interest in wine and wish to broaden your knowledge in a structured way this course offers you an internationally recognised qualification. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling : Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Red grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 40+ wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive a complete WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- Duration of course : 8 weekly evening sessions including the 1 hour multiple choice examination
- Recommended Private Study : 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course.
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
N.B. In addition to classroom teaching, students are expected to complete around 12 hours of private study in their own time.
A copy of the full course specification can be read here.
This course will be taught as a Monday evening course over 8 x 2 hour evening sessions from 6.30 to 8.30pm, starting Monday 3rd June 2019 for 8 consecutive weeks with the exam in the final week of the course on Monday 22nd July. If there there is a session you cannot make then please let us know and we can make separate arrangements for you to run through the material with your tutor in the hour before the following weeks class.
The Fee of £435 includes:
- All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- Tasting of over 40 delicious wines including Champagne & Ports
- We teach you the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine ®
- This will enable you to analyse wines objectively and consistently
- Professional ISO tasting glasses
- All course handouts and tuition
- Examination fees, official certificate and pin for all those who pass
Registration for this course is required by Friday 10th May 2019. This is to allow adequate time for us to complete the registration process. In certain circumstances we may be able to accept a late application to the course however this will incurr an administration fee of £25 to cover our administration costs.
Special Educational Needs: Please make us aware if you have a condition that may mean you qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Mon 3rd Jun 2019 at 1830
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: No 8 Thorpe Road, Norwich
No 8 Thorpe Road
8 Thorpe Road